Logos with colored backgrounds often clash with the background color of your website. Unless you want change the color of your site, you need transparent PNG logos that seamlessly integrate with your page.
Logos with colored backgrounds often clash with the background color of your website.
Whether you have a website for your freelance work, small business, or nonprofit organization, you’ll want to ensure that your logo looks good on any page.
Unless you want to change the colors on your site, you need transparent PNG logos that seamlessly integrate with your page, whether it be for your business
Often times, whoever created your logo would be able to give you an image with a transparent background. If that’s not possible – don’t worry! In this post we will walk you through the process of giving your logo a transparent background using Adobe Photoshop.
If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop there are also a multitude of free online tools and apps that can help you remove the background from your logo or image. We have listed the best ones available below to save you time.
Make Your Background Transparent Using Adobe Photoshop
If you have a logo with colored background, you must first make the background transparent. Then you can convert the file format into PNG, which is the file format designed for transferring images onto the internet. The JPEG format, though useful, does not support transparency.
1. Open The File Of Your Logo
2. Add A Transparent Layer
Select “Layer” > “New Layer” from the menu (or just click on the square icon in the layers window).
The new layer should automatically be transparent.
Drag this new layer below your image’s layer and select your content layer.
3. Make The Background Transparent
Using the magic wand or lasso tool, select the area of the image you want to be transparent. Use a tolerance setting of 32, or also experiment with different settings to get the result you want.
Hit the Delete button. The selected area will be removed and the transparent background becomes visible.
If you have circles, or any shapes in your logo that are not connected, you may need to repeat the selection and deletion process on those other areas of your logo (as you can see, I need to delete the background from the outside of my logo image and from within the circle as well
4. Save The Logo As A PNG Image
Click “File” -> “Save As”. Select “PNG (*.PNG) as the file format. Note that though a transparent background looks checkered in Photoshop, it will actually be transparent in the final PNG file. Now you can upload this logo with a transparent background onto your website!
Tip: You might need to go to “Mode” -> “RBG Color” to change your image’s color format into RBG, which supports transparency.
Alternative Image Editing Programs
A quick google of image editing apps will provide you a whole range of online tools and apps that can help you remove the background of your image. There are almost too many to choose from though, so we’ve whittled it down to 4 of the best that can be downloaded and used across a range of devices.
When using mobile editing apps and tools don’t forget to take note of the file size and ensure that the quality of your logo still remains high for publishing on desktop sites.
- Background eraser: superimpose is a mobile app that can be downloaded free for IOS users. You can just touch the areas of the screen where you want to rub out the background, and then export your image as a PNG file. It’s so easy!
- Ultimate Background Eraser is a similar app to Background Remover, but this one is for google play/Android users.
- Adobe Photoshop Mix is basically the photoshop app for your phone – quick and easy to download, it’s free and available across IOS and Android.
- Clipping Magic is an amazing online tool that will remove the background for you in just a few clicks. It’s a subscription based tool though, so while it’s cheap, it’s not free.
- Canva is a super easy to use online editing tool, helping you create beautiful designs without complexity.
Custom Branded Donation Forms To Help You Raise More With Less Effort
You can create your own unique, branded donation form or fundraising campaign with CauseVox.
Easily upload your logo and select your colors to effortlessly create a customized giving experience.